FREE Videos: Is Your Health Care Compliance Program Current?
Stay Informed to Avoid Home Health or Hospice Compliance Issues.
The Health Care Fraud Prevention and Enforcement Action Team (HEAT) has created free videos and audio podcasts (averaging about four minutes each) that cover major health care fraud and abuse laws, the basics of health care compliance programs, and what to do when a compliance issue arises. The first educational presentation was posted on the OIG website the week of December 5; 8 videos are currently accessible and the remaining 3 will be posted in the next few weeks.
The Office of Inspector General (OIG) identified 7 fundamental elements to an effective compliance program:
- Implementing written policies, procedures and standards of conduct;
- Designating a compliance officer and compliance committee;
- Conducting effective training and education;
- Developing effective lines of communication;
- Enforcing standards through well publicized disciplinary guidelines;
- Conducting internal monitoring and auditing; and
- Responding promptly to detected offenses and developing corrective action.
The OIG also developed a series of voluntary compliance program guidance documents (CPG’s) directed at various segments of the health care industry, such as hospitals, nursing homes, third-party billers, and durable medical equipment suppliers, to encourage the development and use of internal controls to monitor adherence to applicable statutes, regulations, and program requirements.