ICD-10-CM Updates for Home Health and Hospice
FY2017 ICD-10-CM Code Updates Coming Soon
More than 3,000 changes and modifications in tabular instructions will be effective October 1, 2016. These changes will include 1,974 new codes, 311 deleted codes, and 425 revised codes.
The areas that show the greatest impact are:
- Chapter 4 (Endocrine, nutritional and metabolic diseases) new codes for reporting manifestations
- Chapter 13 (Diseases of the musculoskeletal system and connective tissue) new codes to include bunions and cervical spine disorders
- Chapter 19 (Injury, poisoning and certain other consequences of external causes) new codes including fracture codes.
Other changes include:
- Chapter 1 (Certain infectious and parasitic diseases) with the addition of one code for the Zika Virus (A92.5)
- Codes for periprosthetic fractures have been moved
- Concussion codes deleted from Chapter 19 (Coders will only need codes to describe whether the patient lost consciousness or not rather than the length of time consciousness was lost)
- Several hundred changes to diabetes codes
- New codes added to Chapter 9 (Diseases of the circulatory system) in regards to hypertension and stroke.
- The FY2017 official coding guidelines confirmed a causal relationship between two conditions linked by the term “with” in the Alphabetic Index or Tabular List. These conditions should be coded as related even without provider documentation directly linking them, unless the documentation clearly states the conditions are unrelated. For example, diagnosis that are impacted by this will include Diabetes with CKD and hypertension and heart involvement.
Along with the code changes, the tabular notes are also being updated:
- Exclude 1 notes have been revised to Exclude 2 notes (This will imply that starting Oct. 1st a coder can code dementia alongside dizziness without the coder determining if the two are connected).
- Inclusion notes have been added to help with reporting the new codes.
These changes are effective October 1, 2016. firstHOMECARE/firstHOSPICE software will be updated to include the new codes, updated codes, and will have the deleted codes removed. Additionally, HEALTHCAREfirst coders have been trained on these changes and are ready to accurately code for our coding services customers.
Please ensure that you are educating your coders and clinical team members on these code changes, as well as the need for increased specificity in their documentation.
For more information on the impending changes go to: https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Coding/ICD10/2017-ICD-10-CM-and-GEMs.html
Are you worried about these new changes? Interested in having HEALTHCAREfirst handle your coding for you? Please contact us today!