The Value of Social Media for Hospice Agencies
Educate Your Staff About Social Media.
The use of social media such as Facebook and Twitter can be a powerful tool for hospices looking to share ideas, news and build relationships online. Using social media effectively can also increase your online presence, helping your agency show up more frequently in search engines like Google or Yahoo.
Here are some tips on how you can use social media to engage caregivers, consumers and the community:
- Begin by creating accounts with the most popular social media including Facebook and Twitter. Don’t be afraid to explore other types of social media including Instagram, Pinterest and LinkedIn too.
- Do you have a website? If so, develop a blog to go along with it. Blogs are designed to provide news, commentary and updates on the latest happenings in your organization and hospice industry. You will find that many people will subscribe to your blog and read it regularly.
- “Friend” or “follow” other local businesses from your community. “Like”, “share”, “re-tweet” and comment on their posts. This will help spread your brand to their friends and followers that may not be connected to your business just yet.
- Use your account to promote education about hospice care, events your agency may be hosting or attending and even spotlight your staff or agency achievements.
- Encourage your staff members to connect to the agency account by “friending”, “following”, “sharing”, “liking” and “tagging”. Just be sure to create an internal social media policy and educate your staff on acceptable use when posting on or about the agency account.
Once you get started and have your accounts set up, it only takes a few minutes a day to update your social media message and get the word out about your agency. As the viral generation grows, more and more people will be looking to the Internet and social media to find care options for their loved ones. Don’t be left behind!