Hospice Item Set Measures.
CMS recently announced it will be sponsoring a Software Developer/Vendor Call on July 16, 2013 regarding the proposed Hospice Item Set (HIS) and HEALTHCAREfirst will be participating.
In the Hospice Proposed Rule that was published at the beginning of May, CMS proposed to eliminate the two quality measures that are currently being reported by hospices:
- The NQF 209 the comfortable dying measure
- The quality assessment and performance improvement (QAPI) structural measure
Elimination would not kick in until after hospices met their reporting obligations for the fiscal 2015 payment update.
CMS recommended that the current measures be replaced with the Hospice Item Set (HIS), a standardized assessment instrument that would be used to collect data on seven NQF endorsed measures:
- NQF #1617 Patients treated with an Opioid who are Given a Bowel Regimen
- NQF #1634 Pain Screening
- NQF #1637 Pain Assessment
- NQF #1638 Dyspnea Treatment
- NQF #1639 Dyspnea Screening
- NQF #1641 Treatment Preferences
- NQF #1647 Beliefs/Values Addressed (if desired by the patient)
The comment period for the proposed Hospice rule has ended and CMS will be reviewing comments received before publishing the final rule sometime in August. Providers who would like to review additional details about the Hospice item set can review the following links: